Welcome to MJPC!

If you L.O.V.E. to share photos and discuss anything and everything about the King Of Pop, you've come to the right place! Have rare MJ photos to trade? Email us at photos@mjphotoscollectors.com! Want to help support our site? Donate $5 (or more) here! Or, become a VIP Member! for access to thousands of high res watermark free photos in our password protected galleries! Enjoy your visit!!

'One More Chance' - A Dream that Turned into a Nightmare

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Lari

Lari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
'One More Chance' - A Dream that Turned into a Nightmare

Posted Image

By Charles Thomson

November 30, 2010, (Sawf News) - Michael Jackson dreamt of a triumphant return to showbiz after years of seclusion with the music video of One More Chance in 2003, only to have the dream turn into his worst nightmare.

Charles Thomson speaks to the performer's colleagues, collaborators and co-stars about his little-known final music video.

This is Part 1 of a four part feature.

1. Engineering Michael Jackson's Comeback
2. Michael Jackson's Dream Takes Shape
3.Filming of One More Chance
4. Dream Return Turns into a Nightmare

Engineering Michael Jackson Comeback

In Summer 2003 Michael Jackson and his team were quietly plotting an extraordinary comeback. Amid the tranquil setting of his sprawling Neverland Ranch, Jackson was meeting with his business partners, advisors and publicist on a regular basis to devise plans for a multi-faceted comeback that would re-launch the star into the stratosphere. The comeback would be surprising, seeing Jackson branch into new areas and industries and rehabilitating his image at the same time.

Michael Jackson's Fallout with Sony

Posted Image

The past few years had not been kind to Jackson. His 2001 album Invincible had received a mixed critical reaction and had been mocked by the press as a commercial failure. In the Summer of 2002 Jackson had blamed low album sales on his record company, Sony, branding label boss Tommy Mottola 'racist' and 'devilish'. He claimed the label had sabotaged Invincible by failing to promote it and, in a series of speeches, announced his intention to leave the label. However, his public fall-out with Sony had led to further tabloid mockery and his campaign had ultimately fallen flat.

Negative Publicity from Martin Bashir's Documentary

Jackson's confidence had been rocked by two further incidents. The singer found himself at the center of a global scandal in November 2002 after pictures of him dangling his son over a hotel balcony in Germany were beamed around the world. He was dealt another blow in February 2003 when Martin Bashir's documentary Living with Michael Jackson caused uproar, showing Jackson holding hands with young cancer patient Gavin Arvizo and admitting to sharing his bed with other people's children. It was at this point that Jackson's camp decided enough was enough.

Damage Control

The concern amongst Jackson's advisors was that the singer's name had become little more than a punchline; an easy target for relentless mockery and abuse. His image was in desperate need of repair. The effort began with damage control. Jackson's camp released a rebuttal to Bashir's documentary, featuring footage of the presenter contradicting the views expressed in his own film and proving that he had omitted vital answers from the star. After exposing Bashir's duplicity Jackson's camp followed up with a second documentary, Michael Jackson's Private Home Movies, in which the star presented funny and interesting clips from his archives.

An appearance at the BET Awards in June 2003 to present his idol and mentor James Brown with a Lifetime Achievement Award contributed to the wave of good PR Jackson was receiving. The star's brief appearance on the show saw audience members burst into tears and it served Jackson well to be seen presenting an award rather than receiving one for once. Things were beginning to look up for the singer and now his elaborate comeback plans could really be put into effect.

Reinventing Michael Jackson

"Michael was regaining much of his self-esteem and self-confidence after dwelling in the shadows of public scandal and scorn," says publicist Stuart Backerman, hired by Jackson in 2002. "In the language of marketing, Michael was about to be re-branded.

"The comeback plan was called the MJ Universe project and it was all about 'the People's Michael', if you want to think of it in political terms. That's what was underpinning this whole scheme. It was about being accessible. After all the years of living as a partial recluse and a tabloid target he wanted to reach out and be seen in an objective way."

The first step towards making Michael Jackson more accessible would be to create a link between the star and his fans. In Vancouver a web design company called Blast Radius was secretly working on a brand new official Michael Jackson website (his old one was owned and controlled by Sony). The website would contain what Stuart Backerman describes as 'the most unbelievable interactive videos' and would serve as a medium for Jackson to stay in touch with his fans.

The next step was to open up Jackson's Neverland Ranch. After the Bashir documentary his sanctuary was seen as a sinister place. In order that people could experience Neverland themselves and enjoy a brief glimpse into Jackson's world, the star planned to launch the ranch as a resort for short breaks, generating income as well as improving his image.

Jackson's merchandising had 'dried up' in recent years, says Backerman, and loose plans were in place to launch several new products, beginning with a Michael Jackson clothing line. He was also in talks with a Japanese investor to design a theme park.

From Music to Movies

But the jewel in the crown of Jackson's comeback plans was a deal he and his camp had recently struck with a motion picture company in Montreal. For years it had been Jackson's desire to move away from the music business and into the movie industry. In 1993 he had a deal in place with Sony to begin making movies but the plans were scrapped after Santa Barbara DA Tom Sneddon raided Jackson's home and the star found himself accused of child molestation. In recent years Jackson had made baby steps towards launching himself as a player in the movie world, first making a cameo appearance in Men In Black II and then guest starring in low budget comedy Miss Castaway. Now he was ready to make the leap.

"He didn't want to really start again with the music," says Dieter Wiesner, Jackson's manager from 1997 until 2003. "After he was done with Sony, he had a whole other plan. His focus was just not that much on the music part anymore. His feeling was that he had really made the best in his life for the music part. He created everything. He made Thriller and things like that and he knew it could be very hard to top these things. For him it was very important to be successful as a director and an actor, directing movies, making short films, things like that. He was really into it.

"He knew he had to do something for the fans but it was very clear that he couldn't go back on tour because he was mentally not into it anymore. He wanted to do big concerts, say, at the pyramids in Egypt - big places - over two or three years. He agreed to do something like that because the fans really wanted to see him, but he felt his real future should be in the film business."

After months of negotiations, Jackson's camp had managed to secure financing so the star could purchase Cinegroupe, a Canadian animated features company, which Stuart Backerman says Jackson wanted to turn into 'a whole Pixar type thing'. In anticipation of the takeover, the company had invited Jackson to begin contributing ideas to an upcoming picture, Pinocchio 3000. A decade after his film-making dreams had been squashed, Jackson was finally about to begin making the transition from music to movies. But before that he had one burning priority, and that was to release himself from his Sony contract.

"He wasn't ever really right back on good terms with Sony," says Stuart Backerman. "The Beatles Catalogue is one thing but after the whole Tommy Mottola business, it was over. It was not gonna really be happening with Sony again."

According to Dieter Wiesner, Jackson had no plans to move to another label after he fulfilled his contract with Sony. The focus was squarely on movie-making and all signs pointed to the fact that Jackson was serious about achieving his goal. One morning at Neverland Ranch, during the comeback discussions, Jackson presented Stuart Backerman with a signed fedora as a thank you for all his hard work. Inside Jackson had written the inscription, "Dear Stuart, many thanks for your kind help and please don't make plans for the next decade."

Michael Jackson's Dream Takes Shape

In October 2003 Michael Jackson flew to Las Vegas to begin a series of in-person appearances that would mark the beginning of his elaborate comeback plans. In keeping with his new accessible image he also took part in several autograph signing sessions, the proceeds from which went to charity. On Saturday 25th October he was presented with the key to Las Vegas at the Desert Passage Mall and three days later he appeared at the Radio Music Awards to debut his new charity single, What More Can I Give.

One More Chance Music Video

But most excitingly for the star's fans, Jackson was in town to record a new music video. A new greatest hits compilation called Number Ones was due to be released on November 18th and, thinking that it would fulfill his contractual obligations to Sony, Jackson had contributed an unreleased track, One More Chance, and agreed to promote it as a single. Seeing the opportunity to fulfill another contractual obligation at the same time - he owed CBS a performance - Jackson decided to record an accompanying music video. The video would debut on November 26th at the end of a CBS special about the star and then go into rotation elsewhere.

After recording the video Jackson was set to embark on what Stuart Backerman describes as a 'triumphant publicity tour' across Europe, Africa and South America. "We were going for three months," says the publicist. "We were going to do all kinds of autograph sessions, record signings and fan events and we were going to do something at Harrods in London, too."

"He was going to give Muhammad Ali an award at the Bambi Awards in Germany," adds Dieter Wiesner. "We also had a plan to do something with Nelson Mandela."

Nick Brandt, a seasoned Jackson collaborator, was scheduled to direct the new video. Brandt had worked on numerous short films with the star in the past - most famously on the Earth Song video, which combined Jackson's strong environmental views with the director's acclaimed wildlife photography. Their most recent outing had been 2001's Cry, a video Jackson reportedly refused to appear in due to his conflict with Sony.

Turning his Back to Music in Pursuit of Film

The shoot would take place at the CMX Productions studio and the concept was simple. The song was a yearning ballad about lost love in which Jackson pleaded with an ex-girlfriend for 'one more chance at love'. The video would feature a unique role reversal in which an audience would stand onstage and watch Jackson as he performed the track in an empty, upscale nightclub, hopping banisters and jumping on tables. The set-up seemed to have little correlation with the song and appeared to be more of a comment on the press and public's perpetual invasion into Jackson's privacy - a common theme in the star's videos - essentially showing a crowd of bystanders watching over Jackson in an intimate, off-stage moment, transfixed by his heartbreak.

Jackson technically owed CBS a performance so the aim was to create a hybrid that would satisfy the broadcaster and also work as a music video. An idea was hatched to give the video a live feeling by following Jackson seamlessly through the club rather than cutting from scene to scene in the typical music video style.

"We had five cameras rolling on him at all times," says a senior crew member, who asked to remain anonymous after speaking without record label permission. "The idea was to try to capture Michael, as much as possible, doing one routine through the club, to give it kind of a live feeling. It would literally flow from one camera to the next. We also had kind of a limited time with Michael because he would set his own schedule, so we also decided to capture it that way to make sure we could get it all shot cohesively."

Filming of One More Chance

On Monday 17th November 2003 a crowd of extras waited in a holding area at the CMX studio. They knew they were there for a music video, but that was all they knew. "We auditioned on the Friday and knew we were going to shoot at the soundstage on Monday," says Ken Yesh, one of the extras chosen for the shoot. "We went the entire weekend wondering who the video was for. Then, when we got there, we signed some papers and on the back page it said 'Michael Jackson, One More Chance, Sony Productions'. We all just flipped."

"That right there was such a moment," says fellow extra Juliette Myers. "As we were going down the line we were cheering because wow, you know, what an iconic moment. We were going to be a part of something that's history."

But the excitement was short-lived. "When we went into the soundstage they told us that 'yes, this is a Michael Jackson video but he will not be here'," says Ken Yesh. "So we were all pretty disappointed. He had a body double that was doing all the camera sets and all the arrangements. We thought that that was all that was going to be there - just a lookalike."

The extras were put in bleachers on the stage in a choral arrangement while the crew tinkered with the lighting. A few extras were selected to look into the distance or look amazed and the crew panned the audience a lot, but the extras spent much of their time standing around. "If they weren't going to use us for a scene then they'd take us back out to the waiting area," says extra Stephen McClelland. "I remember us waiting outside while they were trying to set up some of the table things to get a rough idea."

"Being extras, we started early but we didn't really have to do much," agrees Juliette Myers. "They'd set us up, they'd do some lighting and cue the music and we'd stand and do our part, then we'd cut for a break. There was never really much work. There was a very free, fun and fancy type air about the day."
Michael Jackson's Surprise Appearance

Several hours into the shooting day, Michael Jackson, wearing dark jeans and a white t-shirt, slipped onto the set through a back door. "When he made his entrance it wasn't anything grand," says Ken Yesh. "It was kind of on the down low - really hush-hush. We were onstage at the time so there were a few whispers of, 'Oh my God, I think that's him!' The room was pretty dim. The whole ambience was the nightclub scene so there were some lamps on the tables and the stage lights were very dim, but he's pretty hard to miss."

"It was like electricity through the air," adds Stephen McClelland. "Everybody was getting really excited."

"We weren't even prepared for him to come out," says Juliette Myers. "We were standing in the bleachers and I was talking to somebody and all of a sudden I heard cheering. I looked up and he was just there. It's weird how you don't even realize how powerful he is until he's there. It's like a presence. I couldn't stop screaming. I tried to be professional but that didn't work. We were all screaming our heads off. But he let us have our time. I'm sure he knew that he was going to have fans so he gave us time to just embrace him and then we got to work."

Michael Jackson's Dance Moves: Inimitable

The crew had spent much of the day preparing for Jackson's arrival in order to avoid keeping him waiting once he arrived. With everything in position and ready to go, Jackson launched into his first performance almost immediately, meandering around the nightclub and showcasing his famous dance moves.

"I think they told us he wasn't going to be there because they wanted to see our responses on film when he started dancing," says Ken Yesh, "because when he first came in, it wasn't five minutes and he jumped right into it. He started going into the sequences, walking through the tables at the nightclub, going up to the stage, singing, jumping onto the tables and onto the chairs - and I was looking at everyone else and their faces were like mine. It was just disbelief."

"It was amazing," recalls Juliette Myers. "Part of our reaction was supposed to be shock and awe, but it was real. We were just like 'Oh my gosh, he's here. This is him in real life. He's right in front of us'. It was so easy to be happy and to have the wondrous looks in our eyes. He did a move standing on a table right in front of us and it was like, 'Wow. There it is. This is what we grew up with'. It made that reaction and that moment real."

"They had genuine surprise on everyone's face," says Ken Yesh. "Everyone had a permanent smile across their face. They couldn't believe it. I think we all understood what it meant. We were in the presence of one of the best entertainers ever on the face of the earth. I mean, who has the chance to do something like that?"

"It was like seeing Elvis perform live, or the Beatles," agrees Steve McClelland. "You've got a legend in front of you performing. It was magical. All those rumors about him being past it were, I believe after seeing him, completely unfounded. He was still perfectly capable. He was truly magic. Truly blessed."

Each time Jackson finished the routine, shooting would pause while the crew fixed the set for continuity; in each performance Jackson would kick lamps and wine glasses off of the nightclub tables. Between takes Jackson would interact occasionally with the extras, says Stephen McClelland.

MJ: Focused During Shoots, Caring and Concerned During Breaks

"We'd all been standing there for a long time. He'd say thing like, 'I hope you guys aren't too uncomfortable back there' because the lights would come up on us and we were standing really tight together and we couldn't move. Between takes we had to stay there. So he was just feeling for us a little bit. When he started to perform he was very focused but then he would go back to being just casual. He'd say things to us like, 'I hope you all liked that one'. He was being funny, witty."

Mostly, though, Jackson kept to himself. "He was kind of separate," says Juliette Myers. "I think he was just really shy. I remember there was direction that he was very shy so they didn't want us to look directly in his face."

"I was extremely surprised at how humble he was," adds Ken Yesh. "But when the camera started rolling and the music was on, it was like electricity. The guy was completely amazing. He would do the same dance sequence five or six times, flawlessly."

"Michael was soft spoken and kept to himself," confirms a crew member. "But when the cameras started rolling he just became Michael Jackson instantaneously. The moves and the walking and everything, it was just Michael Jackson through and through. It was amazing. I remember him jumping up on a table and doing a spin at one point and his hands went up in the air and it was just 100% pure Michael Jackson. I'll never forget that memory."

After performing the routine five or six times across roughly three hours, Michael Jackson made his exit. "He was really sweet with all the extras," says a crew member. "When he was leaving he said a great big goodbye to them and thanked them for all their hard work. He was such a gentleman."

"He didn't just scurry out," says Juliette Myers. "He respectfully said thank you. I don't even know what he was thanking us for, though." She laughs. "He was the star. We were just backdrop."

Jackson was scheduled to return the following day to film frontal shots and close-ups. "Our intention was to shoot from behind Michael towards the audience and then, to save money on all the audience members, the following day we would flip around and shoot Michael's close-ups," says a crew member. "So pretty much everything we got on the first day was head to toe and shot either in profile or from behind, with the audience in the background."

The day's rushes showed Jackson on good form, leaping energetically from table to table, running around the club and looking genuinely happy as he high-fived the crowd. He paid subtle homage to older videos; a shot in which he pulled his jacket down over his shoulders before the excited audience was reminiscent of the Dirty Diana music video while his kicking the table decorations as he danced called to mind his controversial short film for Black or White.

At the end of each take Jackson had nodded and bowed to the audience, turned his back on the stage - an enormous grin on his face - and walked out of frame. This shot would serve as the end of the music video and the moment was loaded with connotations. Jackson turning his back on the stage, and on his audience, was symbolic of his intention to leave the music world behind and embark on a brand new career path. Perhaps smiling with as much relief as happiness, he was also turning his back on his final music video for Sony and, he thought, walking away from the contract that he so desperately wanted out of. In essence, he was turning his back on his old career and walking away from it, ready to follow the dream that had been snatched from him ten years previously. Michael Jackson was finally going to make movies.

Dream Turns into a Nightmare

At roughly 8.30 next morning Stuart Backerman and Jackson cohort Marc Schaffel spoke on the telephone to discuss their departure for Europe the following day. Their conversation was interrupted by an incoming telephone call for Schaffel from Joe Marcus, a security coordinator at Neverland. "It was a weird hour for Joe to be calling," says Backerman, "so Schaffel said he would call me back."

A short while later Backerman's telephone rang. "You gotta turn on the television," said Schaffel. Backerman switched on his TV and saw the now famous helicopter images of police swarming Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch. Led by District Attorney Tom Sneddon, 70 sheriffs from the Santa Barbara Police Department had been dispatched to raid Michael Jackson's home. "Honestly," Backerman recalls, "You would have thought it was an army battalion going into an Iraqi village. There were so many of them."

His heart sank. "At that moment I realized that the European trip and the whole MJ Universe project was finished because by that point Diane Dimond was on, revealing that it was all over a second charge of child molestation.

"Michael was just getting ready to leave the 1993 allegations behind and rebrand himself. We'd just finished dealing with the Martin Bashir scandal and here it was again." He sighs. "Here it was again."

In Las Vegas, it fell on manager Dieter Wiesner to break the news to Michael Jackson. "Michael was still in his room," Wiesner explains. "He was sitting next to the fireplace when I came in and he was very quiet. I had to tell him and it was not easy to tell Michael things like this because he was in such a good mood. He saw a future. When the Bashir situation arose he was very down. Now everything had changed and Michael was ready to do new things. Then, to go to his room and tell him such a bad situation… it was a disaster.

"I told him, 'Michael, there is bad news but on the other side you have to see it as also good news. The bad news is the police are on the ranch.' Michael was completely shocked. I was sitting next to him; I had my arm on his shoulder.

"He looked at me and he was really... You could see the blood going out of his face. He was deeply shocked. But I told him, 'Michael, now you have the chance finally to clear up everything. Once and forever you can clear up everything.'"

News spread quickly amongst the crew. "I saw it on TV that morning and by the time I got to the hotel lobby, everybody else had already found out," says a crew member. "So we went to work as normal and waited to see what was going to happen.

"Of course, when we got to the soundstage it was a complete zoo with paparazzi and fans. It had leaked where we were shooting. The day before, nobody knew we were shooting or anything.

"We waited that entire day for Michael to come and I think we went back a second day. Then he called finally and said, 'I'm just not going to be able to come'."

Jackson spent much of those two days crying, says Dieter Wiesner. "I was sitting with him day and night. He was sho cked; he was crying… he didn't know what to do. It was such a bad situation. We were supposed to go to Europe. He was ready to move on in his life and everything was prepared. It was just a beautiful situation and this news shocked him deeply. Really, it killed him."

Two days after the Neverland raid Jackson's depression turned to anger. When it emerged that the boy behind the accusation was none other than Gavin Arvizo, the boy whose hand Jackson had held in the Martin Bashir documentary, Jackson decided to fight.

"You know, when it was clear that this allegation was because of the Arvizos, then he started to really fight the situation," says Wiesner. "Michael told me, 'Dieter, you know what, they should bring this young boy into a big place, invite all the press and he should look me in the eyes and tell me that I did this.' So he was ready to fight."

That the allegation had come from the Arvizos made the ruination of the MJ Universe project even more galling for Stuart Backerman. "Sneddon didn't have anything except the word of Janet Arvizo, and she was totally crazy," says Backerman. "And I know that because I was there and I saw her. She had a track record as long as my right arm. Sneddon just wanted to get Jackson.

"It's very frustrating to this day. We had the world's greatest celebrity and he was more focused than he had been for a long time. But the whole thing got cut off by Sneddon."

Almost unbelievably, Sneddon had managed for the second time to steal Jackson's movie dream away from him just as he was on the cusp of achieving it. Prior to the 1993 allegations, moving into the movie industry had been Jackson's greatest preoccupation. His chances ruined by the scandal of the Jordy Chandler debacle, he'd wound up back on the road - the one place he'd least wanted to be - and grown ever more weary of the music business.

Movie success was the one type of success which had always managed to evade Jackson - the most decorated entertainer in history - and it had long been the one type of success he truly longed for. Believing that One More Chance would fulfill his contract with Sony, Jackson had felt he was finally free to pursue his vision.

"I really have to say, he was a very sharp guy. He knew exactly what he wanted," laments Dieter Wiesner. "I think if he would have had the time and if nobody had come in-between, he could have been very successful in the second part in this career, with the movies and the animated videos. In my opinion, he would still be here today."

With movie success set firmly in his sights, Jackson was merely jumping through the necessary hoops before he could pursue that goal with one hundred percent of his attention and energy. One More Chance, he had thought, was the final hoop. Michael Jackson had believed that the single and music video win him back his freedom. It is one of life's cruel ironies that the next time his fans saw him, he would be in handcuffs.

Source: Swaf News

MJSunshine

MJSunshine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 968 posts
Lari, thank you for posting this!

It's worth reading about the shooting of One More Chance. The cast's and crew's statements are interesting.

@BenS: you see - they are explaining why Michael was mostly filmed from the back like we had supposed in the thread about the Vision DVD.

What I'm a bit reserved about are the plans Bakerman and Wiesner describe - I wonder if this has really been MJs plans or someone else's, especially the promo tour through Europe. In my opinion, doing as many autograph signings, fan parties and award shows as possible would have been the complete wrong way for Michael. This doesn't fit for the King of Pop and this is what has started during the time Wiesner was on Michael's side - several award appearances, TV documentaries etc - everything without any inducement. Michael would have needed big bangs, real promotion for something that needs to be promoted. No random appearances that would range him on the same level as any other artist of our time. Michael was much bigger, so should have been his promotional activities.

Ben S

Ben S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
A very interesting read.

I agree with Sunshine that I'm not sure if Bakerman's and Wiesner's re-branding of Michael would have been (or was) was. I know Michael never gave out awards, but I don't see Michael giving an BET Award to James Brown in 2003 as re-branding Michael. Michael loved James Brown and he would have given the award to him at anytime in his career if asked. What gave Michael good publicity at the BET Awards was Michael's "James Brown" dance at the BET Awards, because he stole the show and amazed the audience and media as no one thought Michael could dance the way he used to anymore.

I think the promotional trip around Europe etc, doing autograph signings etc like he did in New York for Invincible sounds realistic, because it would be Michael connecting with his fans. But I doubt Michael would make himself too accessable to the media and public as a whole. Michael's views appear to have always remained strong that stars need to have mystic. From what I'm aware of, the promotion for Number Ones was to have been Michael getting back to being seen as a musician and entertainer and that the promotional trip to Europe was to have meetings about a possible tour. Michael was also rumored to have been in talks with MJNI (A UK MJ fanclub with organised the Killer Thriller party MJ attended in 2002) a surprise intimate live mini concert in a nightclub in London.

Who knows what Michael's actual plans were for movies. I remember around the time Michael had just released Dangerous, he was rumored to have been in talks to make a movie called MidKnight, with the set designed by Anton Frust (who commited suicide around 1992) who did the set for Tim Burton's 1989 film Batman. After this the only connection to movies Michael had before the whole Chandler abuse lies, is Michael making the theme song for the movie "The Adams Family". And also Michael was doing something with Sega computer games around 1993 that would use music he was composing. Some of the music was compositions that would turn in to songs like Stranger In Moscow.

I think Michael would always have made music. He was too competitive to have completely stopped making music. I'm sure Michael was bored by the music business by the mid 1990's considering he'd done everything and achieved everything that could be in music. Michael looked bored to me on the HIStory Tour, and some of the songs with teams of up to 5 songwriters on Invincible made the album sound like Michael was a guest vocalist on his own album, and that he let the likes of Rodney Jerkins and Teddy Riley finish off a lot of there collaborations and Michael just approved of what he liked. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how Invincible as a whole sounds to me, even though I think it's got some brilliant songs and hidden classics on it. The video for You Rock My World, also has quite a not too enthusiastic feel about it. But One More Chance, despite it being one of the few low budget looking videos seems to show Michael back with energy and having fun in music videos like he did in the 1970 to 1990's.

I wish Michael had made movies, but it really should have been from around the late 1970's to before the release of Dangerous when he was at the peak of his powers and fully in sync with the public and not just fans. Because by the 1990's Michael was doing too much work when promoting his albums on tour, ie more business responibilites, and making more music videos as more singles were released per album. Michael did this whilst touring etc. And Michael's tours became longer as he started playing in more continents. Films sometimes 3-4 years to put together (if you include research), and I really don't think Michael would ever have had the time.

I think whatever Michael did, he would have been triumphant in the end. And it most likely would have been the This Is It concerts. Michael had been saying "It's movies for me next" since first announcing he was going to quit touring during the Triumph Tour in 1981, and I don't think Michael fully put his concentration in to movies, as he would have made more after Moonwalker. And Moonwalker was made in a tight schedule in between Michael touring and making music videos for the Bad album. Michael was a music man, and music was Michael's radar !

Lari

Lari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Here are parts 2 and 3 of the text.

Posted Image
Michael Jackson rehearsed for the One More Chance video for just one day. Photo Credit: Sawf News

Michael Jackson's Dream Takes Shape

In October 2003 Michael Jackson flew to Las Vegas to begin a series of in-person appearances that would mark the beginning of his elaborate comeback plans. In keeping with his new accessible image he also took part in several autograph signing sessions, the proceeds from which went to charity. On Saturday 25th October he was presented with the key to Las Vegas at the Desert Passage Mall and three days later he appeared at the Radio Music Awards to debut his new charity single, What More Can I Give.

One More Chance Music Video

But most excitingly for the star's fans, Jackson was in town to record a new music video. A new greatest hits compilation called Number Ones was due to be released on November 18th and, thinking that it would fulfill his contractual obligations to Sony, Jackson had contributed an unreleased track, One More Chance, and agreed to promote it as a single. Seeing the opportunity to fulfill another contractual obligation at the same time - he owed CBS a performance - Jackson decided to record an accompanying music video. The video would debut on November 26th at the end of a CBS special about the star and then go into rotation elsewhere.

After recording the video Jackson was set to embark on what Stuart Backerman describes as a 'triumphant publicity tour' across Europe, Africa and South America. "We were going for three months," says the publicist. "We were going to do all kinds of autograph sessions, record signings and fan events and we were going to do something at Harrods in London, too."

"He was going to give Muhammad Ali an award at the Bambi Awards in Germany," adds Dieter Wiesner. "We also had a plan to do something with Nelson Mandela."

Nick Brandt, a seasoned Jackson collaborator, was scheduled to direct the new video. Brandt had worked on numerous short films with the star in the past - most famously on the Earth Song video, which combined Jackson's strong environmental views with the director's acclaimed wildlife photography. Their most recent outing had been 2001's Cry, a video Jackson reportedly refused to appear in due to his conflict with Sony.

Turning his Back to Music in Pursuit of Film

The shoot would take place at the CMX Productions studio and the concept was simple. The song was a yearning ballad about lost love in which Jackson pleaded with an ex-girlfriend for 'one more chance at love'. The video would feature a unique role reversal in which an audience would stand onstage and watch Jackson as he performed the track in an empty, upscale nightclub, hopping banisters and jumping on tables. The set-up seemed to have little correlation with the song and appeared to be more of a comment on the press and public's perpetual invasion into Jackson's privacy - a common theme in the star's videos - essentially showing a crowd of bystanders watching over Jackson in an intimate, off-stage moment, transfixed by his heartbreak.

Jackson technically owed CBS a performance so the aim was to create a hybrid that would satisfy the broadcaster and also work as a music video. An idea was hatched to give the video a live feeling by following Jackson seamlessly through the club rather than cutting from scene to scene in the typical music video style.

"We had five cameras rolling on him at all times," says a senior crew member, who asked to remain anonymous after speaking without record label permission. "The idea was to try to capture Michael, as much as possible, doing one routine through the club, to give it kind of a live feeling. It would literally flow from one camera to the next. We also had kind of a limited time with Michael because he would set his own schedule, so we also decided to capture it that way to make sure we could get it all shot cohesively."

Posted Image
Michael Jackson rehearsed for the One More Chance video for just one day. Photo Credit: Sawf News

Running the production on a tight schedule and a tight budget, the crew got one rehearsal day with Jackson. "Michael came in that day to do dance rehearsals with Nick and to work out how he would move around the club," says the crew member. "That was where we determined which tables he would jump on so we could light them properly and so on. So that was probably about two to three hours of just Nick and other key crew members working with Michael - maybe four hours.

"Watching his process with Nick was quite inspiring. He really liked to create with Nick. He was involved in everything. He was obviously an experienced artist in music videos and knew what the process was all about, knew who the key people were to talk to. I mean, he and the crew had a definite conversation about composition and lighting and how to capture various dance moves with the camera and what angles to use. He was truly an artist. He didn't just show up and not care. He was definitely excited to be there and involved in the process and really wanted to create something special."

Jackson's manager Dieter Wiesner, however, says the singer wasn't quite as excited as he seemed; much of the video had been devised in the star's absence and he was annoyed by the modest budget. "Michael was not too happy about it," he says. "It was a relaxed situation but it was not what Michael really wanted to do. He looked still for the biggest thing and this was not something he would pick. It was not one of his high class things he did before."

Wiesner says Jackson was also unhappy with the set's resemblance to one of his best known videos from the 1980s. "When we arrived there, the set was already done. He was saying, 'This is like Smooth Criminal'. But he did his job. I think when he started to do something, he did it right. He was not so happy but he had to deliver something and that's what he did."

Michael Jackson dreamt of a triumphant return to showbiz after years of seclusion with the music video of One More Chance in 2003, only to have the dream turn into his worst nightmare.

Posted Image
Michael Jackson during One More Chance video shoot. Photo Credit: Sawf News

Filming of One More Chance

On Monday 17th November 2003 a crowd of extras waited in a holding area at the CMX studio. They knew they were there for a music video, but that was all they knew. "We auditioned on the Friday and knew we were going to shoot at the soundstage on Monday," says Ken Yesh, one of the extras chosen for the shoot. "We went the entire weekend wondering who the video was for. Then, when we got there, we signed some papers and on the back page it said 'Michael Jackson, One More Chance, Sony Productions'. We all just flipped."

"That right there was such a moment," says fellow extra Juliette Myers. "As we were going down the line we were cheering because wow, you know, what an iconic moment. We were going to be a part of something that's history."

But the excitement was short-lived. "When we went into the soundstage they told us that 'yes, this is a Michael Jackson video but he will not be here'," says Ken Yesh. "So we were all pretty disappointed. He had a body double that was doing all the camera sets and all the arrangements. We thought that that was all that was going to be there - just a lookalike."

The extras were put in bleachers on the stage in a choral arrangement while the crew tinkered with the lighting. A few extras were selected to look into the distance or look amazed and the crew panned the audience a lot, but the extras spent much of their time standing around. "If they weren't going to use us for a scene then they'd take us back out to the waiting area," says extra Stephen McClelland. "I remember us waiting outside while they were trying to set up some of the table things to get a rough idea."

"Being extras, we started early but we didn't really have to do much," agrees Juliette Myers. "They'd set us up, they'd do some lighting and cue the music and we'd stand and do our part, then we'd cut for a break. There was never really much work. There was a very free, fun and fancy type air about the day."

Michael Jackson's Surprise Appearance

Several hours into the shooting day, Michael Jackson, wearing dark jeans and a white t-shirt, slipped onto the set through a back door. "When he made his entrance it wasn't anything grand," says Ken Yesh. "It was kind of on the down low - really hush-hush. We were onstage at the time so there were a few whispers of, 'Oh my God, I think that's him!' The room was pretty dim. The whole ambience was the nightclub scene so there were some lamps on the tables and the stage lights were very dim, but he's pretty hard to miss."

Posted Image

"It was like electricity through the air," adds Stephen McClelland. "Everybody was getting really excited."

"We weren't even prepared for him to come out," says Juliette Myers. "We were standing in the bleachers and I was talking to somebody and all of a sudden I heard cheering. I looked up and he was just there. It's weird how you don't even realize how powerful he is until he's there. It's like a presence. I couldn't stop screaming. I tried to be professional but that didn't work. We were all screaming our heads off. But he let us have our time. I'm sure he knew that he was going to have fans so he gave us time to just embrace him and then we got to work."

Michael Jackson's Dance Moves: Inimitable

The crew had spent much of the day preparing for Jackson's arrival in order to avoid keeping him waiting once he arrived. With everything in position and ready to go, Jackson launched into his first performance almost immediately, meandering around the nightclub and showcasing his famous dance moves.

"I think they told us he wasn't going to be there because they wanted to see our responses on film when he started dancing," says Ken Yesh, "because when he first came in, it wasn't five minutes and he jumped right into it. He started going into the sequences, walking through the tables at the nightclub, going up to the stage, singing, jumping onto the tables and onto the chairs - and I was looking at everyone else and their faces were like mine. It was just disbelief."

"It was amazing," recalls Juliette Myers. "Part of our reaction was supposed to be shock and awe, but it was real. We were just like 'Oh my gosh, he's here. This is him in real life. He's right in front of us'. It was so easy to be happy and to have the wondrous looks in our eyes. He did a move standing on a table right in front of us and it was like, 'Wow. There it is. This is what we grew up with'. It made that reaction and that moment real."

Posted Image

"They had genuine surprise on everyone's face," says Ken Yesh. "Everyone had a permanent smile across their face. They couldn't believe it. I think we all understood what it meant. We were in the presence of one of the best entertainers ever on the face of the earth. I mean, who has the chance to do something like that?"

"It was like seeing Elvis perform live, or the Beatles," agrees Steve McClelland. "You've got a legend in front of you performing. It was magical. All those rumors about him being past it were, I believe after seeing him, completely unfounded. He was still perfectly capable. He was truly magic. Truly blessed."

Each time Jackson finished the routine, shooting would pause while the crew fixed the set for continuity; in each performance Jackson would kick lamps and wine glasses off of the nightclub tables. Between takes Jackson would interact occasionally with the extras, says Stephen McClelland.

MJ: Focused During Shoots, Caring and Concerned During Breaks

"We'd all been standing there for a long time. He'd say thing like, 'I hope you guys aren't too uncomfortable back there' because the lights would come up on us and we were standing really tight together and we couldn't move. Between takes we had to stay there. So he was just feeling for us a little bit. When he started to perform he was very focused but then he would go back to being just casual. He'd say things to us like, 'I hope you all liked that one'. He was being funny, witty."

Posted Image

Mostly, though, Jackson kept to himself. "He was kind of separate," says Juliette Myers. "I think he was just really shy. I remember there was direction that he was very shy so they didn't want us to look directly in his face."

"I was extremely surprised at how humble he was," adds Ken Yesh. "But when the camera started rolling and the music was on, it was like electricity. The guy was completely amazing. He would do the same dance sequence five or six times, flawlessly."

"Michael was soft spoken and kept to himself," confirms a crew member. "But when the cameras started rolling he just became Michael Jackson instantaneously. The moves and the walking and everything, it was just Michael Jackson through and through. It was amazing. I remember him jumping up on a table and doing a spin at one point and his hands went up in the air and it was just 100% pure Michael Jackson. I'll never forget that memory."

After performing the routine five or six times across roughly three hours, Michael Jackson made his exit. "He was really sweet with all the extras," says a crew member. "When he was leaving he said a great big goodbye to them and thanked them for all their hard work. He was such a gentleman."

"He didn't just scurry out," says Juliette Myers. "He respectfully said thank you. I don't even know what he was thanking us for, though." She laughs. "He was the star. We were just backdrop."

Posted Image

Jackson was scheduled to return the following day to film frontal shots and close-ups. "Our intention was to shoot from behind Michael towards the audience and then, to save money on all the audience members, the following day we would flip around and shoot Michael's close-ups," says a crew member. "So pretty much everything we got on the first day was head to toe and shot either in profile or from behind, with the audience in the background."

The day's rushes showed Jackson on good form, leaping energetically from table to table, running around the club and looking genuinely happy as he high-fived the crowd. He paid subtle homage to older videos; a shot in which he pulled his jacket down over his shoulders before the excited audience was reminiscent of the Dirty Diana music video while his kicking the table decorations as he danced called to mind his controversial short film for Black or White.

Posted Image
At the end of each take Jackson had nodded and bowed to the audience, turned his back on the stage - an enormous grin on his face - and walked out of frame. Photo Credit: Sawf News

At the end of each take Jackson had nodded and bowed to the audience, turned his back on the stage - an enormous grin on his face - and walked out of frame. This shot would serve as the end of the music video and the moment was loaded with connotations. Jackson turning his back on the stage, and on his audience, was symbolic of his intention to leave the music world behind and embark on a brand new career path. Perhaps smiling with as much relief as happiness, he was also turning his back on his final music video for Sony and, he thought, walking away from the contract that he so desperately wanted out of. In essence, he was turning his back on his old career and walking away from it, ready to follow the dream that had been snatched from him ten years previously. Michael Jackson was finally going to make movies.

Source: Sawf News

MJSunshine

MJSunshine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 968 posts
Lari, you already posted all 4 parts in your first post that's why I had changed the topic title ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users