Welcome to MJPC!

If you L.O.V.E. to share photos and discuss anything and everything about the King Of Pop, you've come to the right place! Have rare MJ photos to trade? Email us at photos@mjphotoscollectors.com! Want to help support our site? Donate $5 (or more) here! Or, become a VIP Member! for access to thousands of high res watermark free photos in our password protected galleries! Enjoy your visit!!

The Bookshop

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Nadine

Nadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
I suggest that I'll edit that post with people's suggestions as we go along to add the books names in the first post so it's easier to read.

What would be interesting would be to be as precise as possible regarding the books you're suggesting, and to also keep in mind that some fans don't have that much money so to really suggest the books or magazines any true fan must absolutely have and no other. Of course the first condition would be regarding the photos, but I think that the info could also be a parameter not to ignore.

Perhaps also describing the book and tell why you think it's a 'must have' according to you.

Probably adding the ISBN and price and even link to either amazon (or other) place to purchase it (or see it) would be nice.

A small picture of the cover would be nice too.

I know, seems like a lot to do, eh, but I really think that the more precise we are the better it will be.

I guess, anybody could also use this thread in order to ask what this or that book is worth, before buying it.

*MUST-HAVE*
- The Jacksons My Family by Katherine Jackson
- Moonwalk by Michael Jackson

- Dancing the Dream by Michael Jackson
- In his own words by Catherine Dineen

- The Jackson Five by Ellen Motoviloff

The Jackson 5 Era
- The Jackson Five by Ellen Motoviloff Jan 1972
- On Stage Jackson 5 by Harriet Lake 1976
- Jackson Five by Charles & Ann Morse Jan 1975

The Jacksons Era
- Papa Joe's Boys by Leonard Jr Pitts

Michael Jackson solo years
- Michael Jackson by Mark Bego (french version has some different photos than the US one)
- Michael Jackson by Tom Lamotta 1988

COMMEMORATIVE BOOKS & MAGAZINES
- The Michael Jackson Treasures: Celebrating the King of Pop in Photos and Memorabilia

Various and Other

The magazines

Edited by Nadine, 28 July 2013 - 03:13 PM.

MJPC

MJPC

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 300 posts
Hi! This sounds like a good idea.  I'm a collector (and love magazines and books) so I really like the idea a lot and will definitely participate in this from time to time. Ron

Nadine

Nadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

View PostMJPC, on 22 July 2010 - 04:49 PM, said:

Hi! This sounds like a good idea.  I'm a collector (and love magazines and books) so I really like the idea a lot and will definitely participate in this from time to time. Ron
Thanks Ron  :)
You've just reminded me that I forgot the 'magazines' section in my post.

I think I'll start with Katherine Jackson's book. The first one from October 1990 as she's apparently having another one on the go recently. To me, that 226 pages book is like a bible, there isn't any better regarding the story and History of the Jacksons, plus it had some truly amazing never seen before photos, although by now, they've become quite well known. I think that book is a must have personally.

Jackson, Katherine; Rich Wiseman (1990). My Family, the Jacksons. St. Martin's Paperbacks. ISBN 0312923503. (isbn13: 9780312923501)

Unfortunatly this book is not available anymore but with a bit of luck you might find it someday or be rich enough to afford a used one or a new  one from Amazon.
Posted Image
That's the american cover, mine being french was like that:
Posted Image
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another one of my favorite books is the Tom Lamotta one. Another french one. From 1988 and mostly on the Bad Tour. Very beautiful photos in that 'small' book of only 64 pages. You can apparently still find it on amazon france for a pretty cheap price of 13.50€ (less than 20 US$)
Posted Image

Relié: 63 pages
Editeur : Éd. n 1 (1988)
Langue : Français
ISBN-10: 2863912852
ISBN-13: 978-2863912850
Amazon France
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nadine

Nadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
One of the first books I bought, way back in 1984 was the Mark Bego's book, simply called 'Michael'. To this day, this book has J5 era and early MJ photos that I have never seen elsewhere. I don't really much remember the text to tell you the truth, but I kind of remember it was kind of 'work of a fan' text, perhaps more advertising legendary stuff than accurate stuff. It has a flavor of 'fairy tale' book in my mind.
But the 64 photos were worth it, back then. Actually, they are more from 1977 to 1984.
There's quite a lot of different covers (and editions I suppose) for that book, here's mine: (french hardcover)
Posted Image Posted Image
American coverand paperback format.

Auteur : Mark Bego
Edition : Michel Lafont
Nombre de pages : 200
Date de Parution : 18 Février 1984
Pays d'origine : France
ISBN 2.86804.005.5
Amazon USA

If you stumble upon a used copy of that book, I'd recommend you to buy it if you don't already have it.

Edit. The US paperbackis also a favorite of mine and there are some different pictures than the french version.
Posted Image

Edited by Nadine, 28 July 2013 - 03:10 PM.

Nadine

Nadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Posted Image

PAPA JOE'S BOYS - THE JACKSON STORY
by Leonard Pitts Jr.

'Papa Joe's Boys - The Jackson Story', is a 96-page book that tells the story of the Jackson family up to the Thriller era. It was published in 1983 with really great and unusual black & white photos of the Jacksons supplied by RIGHT ON! Magazine. The cover is in color, though.
Publisher: Starbooks, Sharon Publications INC., Cresskill, New Jersey, USA
Year of publication: 1983
ISBN number: 0-89531-037-6
Number of pages: 96

Honestly, I was sorely disappointed by that book so I would not recommend it. It may have "great and unusual b&w photos of the Jacksons" but they are so dark, you can't see anything or exploit them in any way. Plus the book looked like a bad photocopy of pages sticked together.
So, really, I'd say, keep your money and don't buy that book, or be sure to skim through it first if you got the chance, or ask for a photos of the inside, if you can.

I'd be interested to know if others felt the same than I did about that book.

Edited by Nadine, 28 July 2013 - 03:11 PM.

Nadine

Nadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
IN HIS OWN WORDS
by Catherine Dineen

Publisher: Omnibus Press
Year of publication: 1993
ISBN number: 88-7953-033-X (Italian version)
Languages the book is available in: English, Italian ('Michael & Jackson', published by Kaos Edizioni, Milano in February 1994)
Number of pages: 100

To me, this book is another "Must have".
If I had to keep only one book on MJ, that'll be that one much probably.

It contains a good amount of photos of J5-Jacksons-mj, rare and good quality ones, plus it's very easy to read too.

(probably best to try to find it on discount/used websites books or ebay or other than amazon given the price it's sold there)
Amazon USA
For a glimpse inside : amazon UK

Posted Image

MJSunshine

MJSunshine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 968 posts
Great thread, Nadine Posted Image

I will start with two book suggestions today that have been published in the last year.

A book I guess most of us already have in their collections:

Michael Jackson: Before he was king
by Todd Gray

Posted Image

I really love that book. It's not only for the great pics of Michael from the Off the Wall and Thriller era - some really amazing ones live on stage - but also for the things Todd Gray has to say about his relationship to Michael. The pictures are a mixture of black/white and colourful ones. With the release of the book, most pictures have been available online, but buying the book is still highly recommended.

Hardcover: 144 pages
Publisher: Chronicle Books (October 21, 2009)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0811875067
ISBN-13: 978-0811875066
Product Dimensions: 11.1 x 9.2 x 0.8 inches
amazon.com

Another book that I bought last year is
Man in the Mirror: Michael Jackson
by Ron Galella

Posted Image

Ron Galella first photographed Michael in 1977 at the Sixth Annual Robert Kennedy Pro-Celebrity Tennis Tournament. He then photographed him at several occasions up to the early 2000s. He was personally introduced to Michael by Brooke Shields in 1984. The book doesn't contain much text, but quotes by Michael or other people. The main focus of the book is on the full sized pictures. They are all in black/white. I think we all know them from the web, but to have them in that dimension and on good quality paper is great. The end of the book contains a great feature: all pics are listed as thumbnails with an explanation about the exact date and event they have been taken at.

Hardcover: 176 pages
Publisher: powerHouse Books (December 29, 2009)
ISBN-10: 1576875350
ISBN-13: 978-1576875353
Product Dimensions: 12 x 9.7 x 0.9 inches
amazon.com

Nadine

Nadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Here's the latest book I bought on michael jackson, this is a very beautiful books filled with lots of very nice photos, I would just wish that there would be more rare or unseen ones, but the fact to have big good quality pictures is I suppose something to be content with too.

Posted Image
Tim Hill - Les Archives Inédites de Michael Jackson The Kind of Pop 1958 - 2009
Broché: 255 pages
Editeur : Elcy (1 juin 2010)
Collection : ARTICLES SANS C
ISBN-10: 275320280X
ISBN-13: 978-2753202801
Amazon France
Price : 16€

I've skimmed through two other books on michael while I was at the bookshop, books that were 'commemorative' as written and published 'after' michael's passing. There was one from Philip Dodd that was a bit similar to the one above by Tim Hill, and then there also was this book: Les trésors de Michael Jackson. It's also a commemorative books with very nice photos of michael all throughout the years but there's a plus, in the form of 10 little 'folders' that include rare or interesting memorabilia, ticket concerts, VIP passes, posters, a booklet on Neverland and more, of course, they're not 'real' ones, but I thought that it was something really nice to have. The only downside, is the price, I thought it was very expensive as it costed twice as much as the Tim Hill one.

Posted Image
Jason King - Les trésors de Michael Jackson - Souvenirs photos du Roi de la Pop.
The Michael Jackson Treasures: Celebrating the King of Pop in Photos and Memorabilia
Relié: 175 pages
Editeur : Michel Lafon (3 juin 2010)
ISBN-10: 2749912326
ISBN-13: 978-2749912325
Price : about 30€ or 40$
Amazon France
Amazon USA

And finally the Dodd book that is about the same as the Tim Hill one. Photos are nice although the text isn't that good from what I heard.

Posted Image
Philip Dodd - Michael Jackson 1958 - 2009
Relié: 176 pages
Editeur : Gründ (22 septembre 2009)
Collection : REPORTAGES
ISBN-10: 2700028090
ISBN-13: 978-2700028096
Price : about 30€
Amazon France

Aaand that's all for tonight. Next time it'll be two 'oldies' from 1984. ;)

Edited by Nadine, 13 August 2010 - 02:00 PM.

Nadine

Nadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

View PostNadine, on 12 August 2010 - 04:22 PM, said:

Here's the latest book I bought on michael jackson, this is a very beautiful books filled with lots of very nice photos, I would just wish that there would be more rare or unseen ones, but the fact to have big good quality pictures is I suppose something to be content with too.

Posted Image
Tim Hill - Les Archives Inédites de Michael Jackson The Kind of Pop 1958 - 2009
Broché: 255 pages
Editeur : Elcy (1 juin 2010)
Collection : ARTICLES SANS C
ISBN-10: 275320280X
ISBN-13: 978-2753202801
Amazon France
Price : 16€

I've skimmed through two other books on michael while I was at the bookshop, books that were 'commemorative' as written and published 'after' michael's passing. There was one from Philip Dodd that was a bit similar to the one above by Tim Hill, and then there also was this book: Les trésors de Michael Jackson. It's also a commemorative books with very nice photos of michael all throughout the years but there's a plus, in the form of 10 little 'folders' that include rare or interesting memorabilia, ticket concerts, VIP passes, posters, a booklet on Neverland and more, of course, they're not 'real' ones, but I thought that it was something really nice to have. The only downside, is the price, I thought it was very expensive as it costed twice as much as the Tim Hill one.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Jason King - Les trésors de Michael Jackson - Souvenirs photos du Roi de la Pop.
The Michael Jackson Treasures: Celebrating the King of Pop in Photos and Memorabilia
Relié: 175 pages
Editeur : Michel Lafon (3 juin 2010)
ISBN-10: 2749912326
ISBN-13: 978-2749912325
Price : about 30€ or 40$
Amazon France
Amazon USA

And finally the Dodd book that is about the same as the Tim Hill one. Photos are nice although the text isn't that good from what I heard.

Posted Image
Philip Dodd - Michael Jackson 1958 - 2009
Relié: 176 pages
Editeur : Gründ (22 septembre 2009)
Collection : REPORTAGES
ISBN-10: 2700028090
ISBN-13: 978-2700028096
Price : about 30€
Amazon France

Aaand that's all for tonight. Next time it'll be two 'oldies' from 1984. ;)

Nadine

Nadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Alright, books from 84 will have to wait. I'm really really curious about this book, has anybody bought it? are J5-motown photos worth it?

Posted Image

Amazon USA

Edited by Nadine, 13 August 2010 - 02:12 PM.

justice_rainger

justice_rainger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

View PostNadine, on 13 August 2010 - 02:10 PM, said:

Alright, books from 84 will have to wait. I'm really really curious about this book, has anybody bought it? are J5-motown photos worth it?

Posted Image

Amazon USA

I have this one. It's a nice book, I can't say the quality of the pictures is very good, and paper is quite thin, but it's like an old photo album, you know, with little cards and copies of documents in paper pockets, I like touching paper and leafing through pages, so I liked this one. There were also some pictures of J5 period which I have never seen before, but not much, probably 2 or 3 in the whole book.
The power's in believing.

shimmerysocks

shimmerysocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
^^I've seen/read that book before. I liked all the photos etc that were included.

Posted Image

Nadine

Nadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
thanks a lot, in fact, i found a video on youtube of someone going through the whole book so I had a good view on it. But thanks for answering!

shimmerysocks, very good post on Mike's hideout in Ireland, I really liked it. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Nadine

Nadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
I have purchased some new books lately that I would like to share with you all.

And mostly these two vintage books of 75 and 76.

On Stage Jackson 5 by Harriet Lake 1976 (16x22cm)and Jackson Five by Charles & Ann Morse Jan75  (19x25cm).

Posted Image
Posted Image

sorry about the giant size of the pictures.

I found those books on amazon, both for a very very good price (like 10$ each) so I suppose there aren't so rare or inaccessible.

I scanned the photos/ illustrations of the two books and you can find the pics on my blog here.

raisa

raisa

Advanced Member

• Gallery Admin
  • 82 posts
I don't think I've ever seen that first one.
the watercolor paintings in that 2nd book are really beautiful.

I'm no good with watercolors, I always mess it up... LOL

Posted Image

Check out my blog with pictures of the Jackson brothers

Nadine

Nadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Yes, I was a "little" bit desappointed to only find watercolors at first in that second book and instantly loved the first one more, but then when I picked the books again to scan them, I realised how wrong I was and how truly beautiful those illustrations were. And it's true, really wet watercolors like these are hard to do, I much prefer working with "drier" watercolors myself, and actually the more I think of it, the more I'm wondering if that wouldn't be inks instead of paint. ... I dunno.

I'm glad you saw the post, I mostly did it for you (sorry guys). ahah. hee.

MJSunshine

MJSunshine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 968 posts
I think they are quite rare and it's a good price for such old books! Thanks for posting them :)

Nadine

Nadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
You're welcome, MJ sunshine. Always glad to help! :D

RachelSally

RachelSally

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

View PostMJSunshine, on 24 July 2010 - 10:13 AM, said:

Great thread, Nadine Posted Image

I will start with two book suggestions today that have been published in the last year.

A book I guess most of us already have in their collections:

Michael Jackson: Before he was king
by Todd Gray

Posted Image

I really love that book. It's not only for the great pics of Michael from the Off the Wall and Thriller era - some really amazing ones live on stage - but also for the things Todd Gray has to say about his relationship to Michael. The pictures are a mixture of black/white and colourful ones. With the release of the book, most pictures have been available online, but buying the book is still highly recommended.

Hardcover: 144 pages
Publisher: Chronicle Books (October 21, 2009)
ISBN-10: 0811875067
ISBN-13: 978-0811875066
Product Dimensions: 11.1 x 9.2 x 0.8 inches
amazon.com

The pages to this book fell out of my copy after only a month.  :( I wasn't exactly handling it rough or anything like that, the book's manufacturing just showed its true quality. I can't think of any way to fix it now that 40% of the pages have been separated, but I think future buyers just might like to know this.

Edited by RachelSally, 28 June 2011 - 04:55 AM.

Nadine

Nadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Oh that's a pain what it happens.

I thought that maybe you just had a bad copy until I checked mine and you're right! It's also starting on mine too. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users