Welcome to MJPC!

If you L.O.V.E. to share photos and discuss anything and everything about the King Of Pop, you've come to the right place! Have rare MJ photos to trade? Email us at photos@mjphotoscollectors.com! Want to help support our site? Donate $5 (or more) here! Or, become a VIP Member! for access to thousands of high res watermark free photos in our password protected galleries! Enjoy your visit!!

Michael - a fashion icon

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

MJSunshine

MJSunshine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 968 posts
In the last year I came across some great articles and blog posts about Michael's influence on fashion. I will post some of them in this thread, they really are good to read.

Michael Jackson – Fashion and Style Influencer
Talking about Micheal Jackson utterly unique fashion,  MJ is the one who first made daring fashion statement and created his own iconic style! Back in 80s – 90s, with MJ’s tuxedo jackets, pegged pants, black shoes with stark white socks, leather jacket, single white sequined glove, mirrored aviator sunglasses, fedora hat  are his early his iconicity! He was really the one who showed everyone what ” dress like stars” is and his fashion statements are etched permanently into our memory banks! He insisted to stick to his own  fashion touch and sense of style (despite his mask) , be array of other popular and commercial mode , indeed made him a real superstar! I believe besides Madonna, there are no stars that can dress in such irreplaceable style! Among all MJ style, the Michael Jackson’s heavyily embellished military jackets and accessories gained much credits as designers like Balmain, celebrities and stars emulate this MJ style! Stars like Rihanna, Beyonce, Kanye West and many more also dress like Michael Jackson ’s favorite military jacket style this days! Now military jackets becomes a hot fashion item!

Posted Image

Michael Jackson was never caught by the trends and popular fads of the moment. In fact MJ created trends composed of sophistication, his retro and military touch of style, which left us a strong impression and perhaps a legend people will also embrace! Michael Jackson recent and last fashion statement of wearing Balmain women’s military jackets, tops and printed pants was also another style breakthrough! Think about it, which straight male singers or stars dress in women clothing but still look stylish and distinstive?

His attempt to try on new things and be persist in his own fashion and style  are things we should always learn from our beloved Michael Jackson, King of the Pop!
Source: dresslikestarz.com

Michael Jackson – A Fashion Legend
Michael Jackson has amazed me with his prodigious musical talents, dancing moves, philanthropic service, and his surreal personal style.  Not only is Michael the King of Pop, he is also the King of fashion.  He’s one of the biggest fashion trendsetters of all time and has inspired millions of people from around the globe.

His style is timeless, insouciant, personal, exceptionally cool & sexy!  Whatever he wore, whether on stage or in videos, he looked amazing.  Michael’s fashion is imitated by countless copycats but just like his dance moves… no one wears it like MJ!
Source: hipgirlie.com

Michael Jackson: A Fashion Retrospective
It's hard to refer to Michael Jackson  as a mere celebrity. Hearing people reminisce over the King of Pop's influence has been unreal -- the memories of trying to moonwalk in socks across your kitchen floor, learning the Thriller dance with your cousins, dancing to "Smooth Criminal" at senior prom -- it all seems reverential.

In an age where we deem people who have multiple births worthy of their own television show, it's nice to pause and remember someone who actually contributed to our culture on so many levels -- through his songs and incredible dancing talent, as well as his personal style. Whether it was uniting the world with an anthem or donning one glove, Michael Jackson left a lasting impression on our society. With that, let us recap the greatest contributions he left to the world of style.

Off the Wall Sleek
Jackson gave a classic look a great update during the release of the album Off the Wall. Wearing a classic black suit with an open white collar may seem pretty tame for the man in question, until you look at his feet. Jackson wore thick white socks with black shiny loafers, instantly giving a classic look new flair and originality.

The Single White Glove
Who could forget the famous "Billie Jean" single white glove? The song was without a doubt, an instant classic. Supposedly, the lyrics were derived from real-life experiences of staged motherhood that both he and his brothers experienced during their time in the Jackson 5. Shockingly enough, "Billie Jean" was the first music video from a black artist ever to appear on MTV. Beyond its cultural significance, the use of the white glove is seen frequently on the runway, and is favored by Chanel creative director Karl Lagerfeld.

Thriller, Jheri Curl, and Aviators
Jackson's finest music video contribution was, of course, the mini-movie Thriller. This was the original elaborate music video with incredible sets, a sea of dancing extras, and fascinating fashion. Jackson may have been responsible for the popularity of the Jheri Curl but, seriously, what woman could resist him after making aviators look so amazing. They weren't just for pilots anymore. Add a casual 1980s-style warm-up jacket, and you have an easy Halloween costume or a great any day look.

Military Jackets and Influence
Apparently, Jackson took his role as King of Pop seriously, as shown through the military-influenced jackets he favored. With a broad shoulder and short cut, it is a look that can be replicated by very few men. This is the way to make blazers with gold buttons look edgy and chic instead of preppy and boring. Let's be honest, killer dance moves don't hurt either.

Dressing Like a Pirate/Sequins in Daylight
Michael Jackson's greatest contribution to fashion was his unfailing originality. His confidence and clear desire to only be himself are inspiring to anyone. Sequin details, zippers, tight hammer pants, flat-out pirate costumes, and royalty-inspired jackets were all favorites of the pop star. What's sad is that so few people have the personality and the magic "it" factor to be able to carry these looks off.

What I will miss most about Michael Jackson was his confidence to be different. His originality gave him a career with so many cultural touchstones, a feat that few performers have ever conquered.
Source: film.com

Michael Jackson's influence on fashion
Even before his untimely death, it was quite apparent that Michael Jackson was having his moment in fashion (most notably witnessed in the recent Balmain collections). Now that he’s left us, the sartorial tributes will surely escalate.

The fall fashion lineups have taken a cue from his 80s style with sequins, military jackets, skinny silhouettes, exaggerated shoulders and excessive zippers. They seem to be everywhere you look. And, you can bet that Michael is looking down from a much more clear vantage point than his closely-guarded life allowed him to, finally realizing that his legacy will live on forever with bits and pieces of his contributions scattered throughout our fashion and music.

Posted Image

In his later years, Michael was often spotted in pajamas and baseball caps but too often he wasn’t given enough credit when he made the effort, stepping out in of-the-moment fashions from top houses including Balmain and Givenchy. He was one of the very few celebrities, male or female that could wear an item directly off the runway and into real life (well, as real as it could be for someone with his level of fame).

A studded Givenchy jacket for a day out with the kids; mixing and matching seasons of Balmain; he was still in touch with popular fashion. And it makes sense that he was since it was heavily referencing his style.

He had a knack for interpreting fashion that is rare. The clothes never wore him. He wore sequins better than anyone else. Liza, Liz and Liberace had nothing on him. Even when he was wearing an extreme costume (gold lamé and space inspired for instance), we didn’t think twice. He could make the truly outlandish garb seem somewhat wearable. Maybe it was because we didn’t really think that he was from this planet anyway.

The true innovators of fashion always seem otherworldly (Isabella Blow and Anna Piaggi come to mind). They couldn’t possibly be human. They aren’t like us. And then, one day when they are no longer alive, we realize that they were human all along.
Source: nubbytwiglet.com

MJSunshine

MJSunshine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 968 posts
So, let's talk about our favorite MJ styles and costumes. What is the outfit you love most?  :)

Personally, I love Michael in red and black which he often wore during the Bad era.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Hiikari_MJ

Hiikari_MJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My favorite is Michael in red and black too!  :lol:
I also love Michael in white !!  :wub: :wub:

Attached Files

Avril MJ

Avril MJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I love Mike with his wonderful jackets, full of sequins!
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Lovely, 13 August 2010 - 10:09 AM.

Posted Image

PoP

PoP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
Here's my favourite MJ Jacket.  I love the Opening jacket for the Bad Tour. :D

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Hanka1000

Hanka1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ooh, all the outfits in the Bad era are my favourite.. (partly because it is my favourite era..)
Hana, with L.O.V.E (:

Hanka1000

Hanka1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
http://i933.photobuc...el-jackson-.jpg
Hana, with L.O.V.E (:

MJSunshine

MJSunshine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 968 posts

View PostHanka1000, on 23 August 2010 - 12:54 PM, said:

Posted Image

Not much clothes on, but that suits him very well :D

Avril MJ

Avril MJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

View PostHanka1000, on 23 August 2010 - 12:54 PM, said:

As they say in Italian..."Wellà"
Posted Image

MKJ

MKJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Personally, I think Michael looks stunning in every era, no matter what he wears. 8)

It’s just so fascinating, even when his outfits are quite plain; he still manages to look absolutely amazing.  Only Michael can do that :wub:

However, if I really had to choose... then... uhh... it’s really hard to choose one or a few... okay, um; I love it when Michael wears such smart suits – gorgeous!

As well as the outfit in the “Black or White” video - the  “Panther” footage at the end – fabulous!

Edited by MKJ, 28 July 2011 - 05:12 AM.

~*~ WITH ETERNAL LOVE TO YOU MICHAEL JOSEPH JACKSON ~*~

dirtybad96

dirtybad96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Michael looks perrrrrrrrrfect in every outfit, but these are my fave!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
When I miss you so badly,
I know that I don't have to go far...
All I have to do is
To look deep inside my heart...

Billie Jean

Billie Jean

Advanced Member

• Gallery Admin
  • 75 posts
GQ Magazine just voted (July 29, 2011) Michael Jackson's BILLIE JEAN VIDEO the most STYLISH VIDEO of ALL TIME. #1 out of #30 (with THRILLER) being number 30. Here in the states, GQ is THE mens style magazine.

http://www.gq.com/en...ofile_multiline

Posted Image

dirtybad96

dirtybad96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
So great news!!!:wub:
Oh, and this is the best outfit ( and the best pose:lol:)ever!!!
Posted Image
All I have to do is

Jimmies48

Jimmies48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
I love it....
Posted Image
Posted Image

Miadry

Miadry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I love the Elegant style, it's my style too and probably that's why I think MJ looked best when he dressed like that. But that's just my personal opinion. :)
For me there are four elements (preety clasic, huh? :lol: ) that define Michael Jackson when it comes to clothing: the military jacket, the mask, the sun glasses and the black fedora. :D  
(I haven't forgot about the glove, but I'm talking about the off stage style here)

So, this is how I like it

Posted Image

The military coat and the mask, that makes me melt everytime :wub:

Posted Image

Posted Image

No mask here, but he wears his sunglasses  :wub:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm inlove with these long coats :wub:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope you liked them  :)

Posted Image

KEEP ON DANCING

Neverland101

Neverland101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I just love when michael would wear something simple as a red button down shirt.
Ooooh and those tight shirts like the one he wore in captain eo that had those stripes. (thumbs up)

dirtybad96

dirtybad96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Michael was perfect. I love his style. I try to dress like him when I go to school! I am going to school with a black hat since last month, and I take it off only for lessons ^_^
BTW, my fave MJ style =
Posted Image
All I have to do is

bibylovesmj

bibylovesmj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
I love military jackets the most,I also have the one in military style :D :D  It reminds me on MJ...I love his sunglasses,sequin jacket....his fashion style inspired a lot of my fashion sketches(I wanna be a fashion designer :D )
It's really inspiring and unique!

dirtybad96

dirtybad96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
This is my fave MJ outfit when I have a BAD day....
:blink::blush:
Posted Image
All I have to do is

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users