Welcome to MJPC!

If you L.O.V.E. to share photos and discuss anything and everything about the King Of Pop, you've come to the right place! Have rare MJ photos to trade? Email us at photos@mjphotoscollectors.com! Want to help support our site? Donate $5 (or more) here! Or, become a VIP Member! for access to thousands of high res watermark free photos in our password protected galleries! Enjoy your visit!!

Tour Books

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

MJSunshine

MJSunshine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 968 posts
I love to collect J5/Jacksons and MJ tour books, but somehow I still get a bit confused about how many different versions do exist. So, can anyone help me to form the ultimate thread that includes all programs?  :)
Please feel free to add any pics or information you have on any tour book.

J5

1970 USA
Posted Image

1972 USA
Posted Image

1972 UK - magazine, no tour book
Posted Image

1972 Europe
Posted Image

1973 Australia
Posted Image

1973 Japan
Posted Image

1974 USA
Posted Image

Sources: MJ Catalog, Ebay

MJSunshine

MJSunshine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 968 posts
Jacksons

1979 Destiny Tour UK
Posted Image

1979 Destiny Tour USA
Posted Image

1981 Triumph Tour
Posted Image

1984 Victory Tour
Posted Image

MJSunshine

MJSunshine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 968 posts
BAD Tour

1987 Japan
Posted Image

1987 Australia
Posted Image

1988 MSG
Posted Image

Posted Image

1988 Tokio
Posted ImagePosted Image

Is this something different to the 1988 programme without the sticker?
Posted Image

And what about these, are they official?:

Posted Image Posted Image

MJSunshine

MJSunshine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 968 posts
Dangerous Tour

Posted Image

Is this something official?
Posted Image

HIStory Tour

Posted Image

Are there different programmes for the 1996 and 1997 leg of the tour?

1999 MJ & Friends Munich
Posted Image

Are there different programmes for Germany and Korea?

2001 MSG Anniversary
Posted Image

stphmlt

stphmlt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there!
For the HIStory tour yes there are at least two different programs. I got the first one from 1996 and I also got the one from 1997 which contains three different pages. ;)

MJPC

MJPC

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 300 posts
Wow! That's a good collection if you have all of these.  I'm sure Ms. "MJ Catalog" will have a thought on all this.  But from me, I can say there are indeed different variations of a couple of the above books.

First off, there is the History variation mentioned above.  I've never seen the "Eyes" cover on the Dangerous alternate version, so not sure where that may have been used.  And then there are these, that I know of.

1) For the JVT tour book, there are two variations.  The easiest way to tell them apart is via the back cover.  The "close up" version was the one that was sold at Kansas City and maybe the next couple of shows, but it was later replaced by the other version (guess someone liked this photo better!).  The other major difference is the color of the pages.  The "original" version (let's call it the "Kansas City" version), has a blank internal cover page, where the more common one has the Victory album cover.  Presumably, the KC version was printed before the Victory album was out, or at least before the artwork was finalized.  Also, the fonts and page coloring is different between the two variations.  The KC version uses purple whereas the more common variation uses blue.

2) I've never seen that alternate version of the 1988 Bad Tour book above, so not sure where that was used.  However, there is a slight variation of this book if you look closely.  Toward the back of the book, some of them have a "Smooth Criminal" video page in there.  Obviously, at some point this was changed.  My guess is this version is the newer of the two, because when the earliest of these tour books were used (again, starting with the USA Kansas City shows, since the 1987 Japan/Aussie books were different as you have them above) Moonwalker was not out yet (and it was never released in the USA apart from VHS anyway).

3) Like the UNCF book you have pictured, there is also a special "Prince's Trust" version of the Bad Tour book, that was sold that one show where Charles & Diana attended.  The book inside is the same, but it has this special cover as I am attaching below.

4) And depending on how you define "tour book", there was a special "Japan tour booklet" for the Bad Tour, as pictured below.  As for if this was actually sold at any of the shows, I can't say for sure.  It may have only been included in the "Bad Special Box" CD box sets (which also included a T-shirt, etc.) and sold at the "Hello Michael" shops that were in Japan at the time.

And just as an aside, you would think that there were tour books designed and printed for "This Is It" although I have yet to hear about even any prototypes that exist (not that I've been collecting seriously very recently).  Still, it's odd that any info on this was never leaked to my knowledge (although surely some scumbag bootleggers have had their own "versions" on Ebay).

Ron

Attached Files

MJSunshine

MJSunshine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 968 posts
Wow, thank you stphmlt and Ron for all the information.
I don't have all of the J5 and Jacksons tour books, but I'm working on that :D

1) I didn't know that there was a difference in the Kansas City version of the JVT book. I will look out for that.

2) Again, I haven't seen the Smooth Criminal page in any of my books, so I will need to find this!

3) I have heard about the special edition for the Prince's concert, but have never seen a pic of it. Thank you for that.

4) I haven't seen that pic, either. I always thought that the Box set included the booklet with Michael's silhouette which I have attached. So there seems to be another difference.

5) Regarding the TII program. Everything I know is that the team of Black & White magazine were meant to design the TII booklet. In their final tribute issure for Michael they have shown the attached pic, but I don't know if any prototype had been produced. I wonder why they didn't release this because demand would have been huge, in my opinion.

Attached Files

MJPC

MJPC

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 300 posts

View PostMJSunshine, on 17 May 2010 - 05:01 AM, said:

Wow, thank you stphmlt and Ron for all the information.
I don't have all of the J5 and Jacksons tour books, but I'm working on that :D

1) I didn't know that there was a difference in the Kansas City version of the JVT book. I will look out for that.

2) Again, I haven't seen the Smooth Criminal page in any of my books, so I will need to find this!

3) I have heard about the special edition for the Prince's concert, but have never seen a pic of it. Thank you for that.

4) I haven't seen that pic, either. I always thought that the Box set included the booklet with Michael's silhouette which I have attached. So there seems to be another difference.

5) Regarding the TII program. Everything I know is that the team of Black & White magazine were meant to design the TII booklet. In their final tribute issure for Michael they have shown the attached pic, but I don't know if any prototype had been produced. I wonder why they didn't release this because demand would have been huge, in my opinion.

Re: #4-you're right, and I have that one too inside those box sets (both CD and "picture CD" versions).  It's been a long time since I've opened up those sets.  So the one I have that is pictured above is different and I'm still not sure where it came from or where it was sold.  Obviously it was sold during the second leg of the Bad Tour when he went back to Japan in 1988 since it includes pics from the 1987 shows.

Re: #5-I bet "Ms. MJ Catalog" would know or could ask her pal Chris or whoever over at "EO".  I bet the prototypes exist, not that they would ever be parted with unless someone wanted to mortgage their house and make the owner very rich.

Ron

MJPC

MJPC

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 300 posts
Also, another thing on this.  That J5 one you have that is labeled "1972 UK."  I have that, and it's not a tour book, it's a magazine.  The tour book used in the UK was likely the one you have called "1972 Europe."  Goodness, I could talk on collecting stuff forever! Hopefully there will be more time for that soon.  In the meantime, photos anyone? LOL.

MJCatalog

MJCatalog

Gallery Admin

• Administrators
  • 17 posts

View PostMJSunshine, on 15 May 2010 - 09:23 AM, said:

BAD Tour

Is this something different to the 1988 programme without the sticker?
Posted Image

Not, it's the same as the one without above.

And what about these, are they official?: They're fake and sold outside of Wembley Stadiums in July 1988.

Posted Image Posted Image

MJCatalog

MJCatalog

Gallery Admin

• Administrators
  • 17 posts

View PostMJSunshine, on 15 May 2010 - 09:24 AM, said:

Dangerous Tour

Is this something official? Totally Fake
Posted Image

HIStory Tour

Posted Image

Are there different programmes for the 1996 and 1997 leg of the tour? There's the History Japan 1996 + History Limited Edition made by Captain Eo Productions approved by Michael and MJJ Productions + History Program given to VIP only in Taipei (Oct. 1996)

1999 MJ & Friends Munich
Posted Image

Are there different programmes for Germany and Korea? Only German to my knowledge.

2001 MSG Anniversary

MJPC

MJPC

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 300 posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh my goodness.  I feel like we can all go home now.

MJSunshine

MJSunshine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 968 posts
Absolutey right, Ron.

Thank you very much for your explanation, MJCatalog.
I was quite sure about the fake Bad and Dangerous ones.

Do you know anything about TII?

J5 Collector

J5 Collector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
There's also a second J5 tour book from Japan 73 that was specific to the Tokyo Music Fair.
Posted Image

MJSunshine

MJSunshine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 968 posts
Thanks for the info, J5 Collector :)
Do you have a pic of the cover?

Another question: some time ago a special program for the Royal Concert in Brunei was circulating on Ebay - has there been a special program for this?

MJCatalog

MJCatalog

Gallery Admin

• Administrators
  • 17 posts

View PostMJSunshine, on 20 May 2010 - 03:43 AM, said:

Thanks for the info, J5 Collector Posted Image

Another question: some time ago a special program for the Royal Concert in Brunei was circulating on Ebay - has there been a special program for this?

Not officially put for sale, but given to Sultan's guests only.

Brunei's program was given together with a video and a cd of the live concert and it's incredibly rare 'cos only a few hundreds were given.

I should have a picture somewhere and I find it, I'll upload it here.

About TII's there are many programs in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Italy, France but to be really honest with you, I won't get aware of TII's stuff on purpose for too emotional reasons, you can easily imagine.

Maybe in future, but up to now it's too painful for me...

Laura

MJCatalog

MJCatalog

Gallery Admin

• Administrators
  • 17 posts

View PostMJSunshine, on 20 May 2010 - 03:43 AM, said:

Thanks for the info, J5 Collector Posted Image

Here's it.

Attached Files

J5 Collector

J5 Collector

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

View PostMJCatalog, on 20 May 2010 - 03:50 PM, said:

Here's it.

Thanks for posting it, MJ Catalog. I bought it by mistake once long ago in the days before eBay, where it was just listed in an ad as "Japanese Tour Program, Jackson 5, 1973." I thought I was getting the one with the orange cover, and  I was very surprised and pleased when this one arrived instead. I had to get a Japanese friend to translate it for me.

There was also a special program for a 1970 tribute to Joe Louis where the J5 performed in a concert at the Cobo in Detroit.  (That's where the famous photo of Marlon and Michael sitting on Muhammad Ali's lap came from.)  If you don't have it, MJCatalog, let me know and I'll scan it.  It's not really a tour program, technically speaking, but some of us are completists.    :)
Posted Image

MJSunshine

MJSunshine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 968 posts
J5 Collector, I would love to see the one for the Joe Louis tribute  :wub:

Laura, thank you for the info regarding the Brunei concert.
I truly understand your feelings regarding TII stuff, so thank you.

MJPC

MJPC

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 300 posts

View PostMJSunshine, on 20 May 2010 - 05:49 PM, said:

J5 Collector, I would love to see the one for the Joe Louis tribute  :wub:

Laura, thank you for the info regarding the Brunei concert.
I truly understand your feelings regarding TII stuff, so thank you.

There are two different Brunei promo packs, one for the Royal Brunei Concert from 7-16-96 and one for the History concert 12/31/96.  I don't have them but they were both featured on mjjshop.com.  Below is one of them.  I have a pic of the other one but can't seem to find it at the moment.

Also, there is another version of the MSG book that is supposedly official.  HOWEVER, I was at these shows and I never saw it being sold.  At the show itself, they only sold the T-shirt and the program you have pictured above.  

This is the cover of the other History tour book.

Ron

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users